Top Quality understands that you will need lots of confirmation before being comfortable feeding raw. So, we will like to share some procedures with you. First and foremost, you might like to join a raw feeding Yahoo group for some input. We can start you out a bit by saying first "don't stress" over feeding raw. We all do in the beginning because we want to be perfect with this.
When first starting to feed raw, some people choose to try one protein at a time. They feed that for a couple of weeks just in case there is an allergy or sensitivity issue, then add another protein. In general though, the main goal is to feed a variety.
between 2% and 4% of ideal adult weight daily. Decrease or increase the
food amount depending on how the pup/kitty of any age, is burning it up.
If you notice extra weight, decrease the feed. If the stool is too soft add a
little more bone, if too hard decrease the bone.
The Prey model feeding proportions are as follows:
- 80-85% meat, boneless muscle, fat, sinews, tendons, cartilage.
- 10% edible bone. (no weight bearing bones as they are too hard and can damage teeth)
- 5-10% organs (1/2 being liver), kidney, gizzard, spleen. (heart is usually included here but can feed more because it is actually a muscle)
Most Dogs and some Cats love Green Tripe and it is very healthy for them. If you don't tolerate
the smell, we make a wonderful Beef with Tripe mixture that
masks the smell beautifully so you get all the goodness without having to deal
with the odor.
Safe Handling of Raw Meat
To keep you and your family safer from food borne bacteria follow these tips for safe handling of your pet’s food.
- Unload products from the cases in to your freezer immediately. It is okay to leave out what you need for immediate feeding.
· Check the temperature of your freezer with an appliance thermometer. The freezer should be below 15°F.
· For storing thawed meats for weekly feeding store in refrigerator at 40°F in an air tight container. Ground meats, poultry, fish, and organ meats shall be feed within 3-4 days of thawing.
· Meat and Poultry that have been defrosted in refrigerator may be refrozen again before feeding. Even if you receive a roll or a few rolls that are not frozen all the way the rolls are still safe for refreezing or to be thawed completely for feeding.
Thaw Meats Safely
- Thawing meats in the refrigerator allows slow, safe thawing. Make sure thawing juices do not drip on other foods. We recommend placing the food on top of a plate so if there is any thawing juice it will drip on the plate and not on other foods.
· For faster thawing, submerge the foods in cold tap water. One of the easiest ways is to stop the drain in kitchen sink fill with 2 inches of cold tap water and submerge food. A deep bowl or pot will work just as well.
· Do NOT use a microwave to thaw. This will interrupt cells in the meats and destroy majority of the nutrients your pet needs.
Safe Food Preparation
- Wash hands thoroughly before and after handling raw meat, poultry, seafood, and bones.
· Sanitize preparing area after preparation with chlorine bleach and water solution. We recommend using paper towels since you can throw them away after use. If you use kitchen towels or any other fabric material clean with hot water and detergent in washing machine.
· Clean feeding dishes with warm water and soap after feeding.